This week, write about your mother.
- Did/do you call her Mom, Mama, Mother, or something else? Why?
- Did/does she work outside the home? Where and for how long? How did/does her work match (or not) her personality?
- What community organizations was/is she involved with?
- What hobbies or crafts do you associate with your mother?
- Describe her cooking - do any particular foods or recipes remind you of her?
- Where did your mother grow up? Is her hometown near or far from where you were raised? If near, what memories do you have of visiting her childhood haunts?
A brief note on citations: In genealogy, we work with lots of facts, often uncovered as the result of lengthy research. It is critical that our findings and our reasoning be well-documented. This is not the site to teach you citations [for that, see Evidence Explained], but I strongly encourage that you do cite your research. Some of our prompts, like today's, will rely heavily on your own memories; if, however, you refer to specific documents (like a marriage license or an inherited diary), please make the effort to record your citations. Your descendants will thank you when they are able to trace the facts back and reach the same conclusions you did.